gcc -Woverloaded-virtual

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at free.fr
Tue Nov 27 09:35:51 GMT 2007

David Faure wrote:

>> Adding a new virtual method to a class is not binary compatible, but
>> reimplementing an existing virtual method is binary compatible, or am I
>> wrong? In this case we don't need to keep the method.
>
> It's BC but old programs that haven't been recompiled will not call the
> reimplementation if we re-add it later.
> So I would rather leave it, for symmetry with addSubjob being
> reimplemented.

This is true if the program instantiates the class itself, but in the case
of jobs, they are instantiated by the kio libraries, so I guess the job
instances would always have up-to-date virtual tables.
On the other hand I see your point about keeping the symetry. And you know
this code much better than me, so it's your decision.

I can commit the second version of my patch if you want, but I don't feel
like doing the other changes we discussed myself, because I don't have a
complete KDE checkout.

Aurélien