gcc -Woverloaded-virtual

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Sun Nov 25 22:59:27 GMT 2007

On Saturday 24 November 2007, Thomas McGuire wrote:
> I think we should remove this again. There are simply too many warnings, as
> a result I can't see the other, more useful warnings anymore, they are all
> in the middle of those virtual-overload warnings.
> Additionally, most of the warnings are false positives (I checked a few in
> KMail, and the ones I checked were all false, except one).
> I doesn't help that the warnings are shown multiple times for the same
> thing when the headers are included in more than one place.

I would like to have the warning enabled by default so that I'm not the only
one getting those. OTOH I fully understand that this can be very annoying
when working on an application and you don't want to look into silencing the
warnings (or fixing the bugs) in libs or whereever the header comes from.

So what do you think about having a switch to disable the warning - per
default it would still be enabled? If the warning were disabled by default
then we could just as well tell everybody to put -Woverloaded-virtual into
his CXXFLAGS.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de