My Computer

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Sun Nov 25 17:04:16 GMT 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007 18:44:20 Germain Garand wrote:
> Le Dimanche 25 Novembre 2007 17:16, Daniel Molkentin a écrit :
> I think it sounds good too... and it conveys the same information than
> "My" (ie. the locality trait)

Well, for the "technical guy" that doesn't care about "feeling right at home"
that might be the case.
However I suspect that "My Computer" wasn't chosen without thought:

Most people who are using their computer as a desktop computer are indeed
using their very own machine (often a notebook these days).
And even e.g. if the secretary is sitting in front of her public terminal then
she rarely will realize that the terminal that is sitting on her desk isn't
a "full computer". To her the terminal _is_ "her computer" - even if she has
got to share resources with others in a larger network and even if the whole
hardware isn't her own property but belongs to the company she's working for.

The reason why they chose "MY computer" instead of a "more technically
correct" soul-less matter-of-fact description is pretty obvious to me:

It adds the personal touch and the feeling of being right at home to the
computer environment. This is especially important in a technical or office
environment. People do say "this is my chair" in an office even if the chair
isn't really their own property. That's pretty normal and that's also
important to make them feel comfortable (even if it creates an illusion
of "property").

--
 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz