kde3/kde4 co-installability again

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Nov 23 23:35:49 GMT 2007

On Friday 23 November 2007, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On pá 23. listopadu 2007, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > >  Yes. What is the right way to launch libexec stuff from a script :)
> >
> > `kde4-config --path libexec --locate kstartupconfig`
> > might work. :)
> >
> > btw, now that startkde is sent through cmake anyway, we could save the
> > kde4-config calls and thus some startup time by directly replacing the
> > paths at configure time. relocatability isn't a requirement on unix,
> > right?
>
>  Given that the point of kstartupconfig is avoiding loading any KDE/Qt
> libraries that soon in startkde, kde4-config is not an option anyway ->
> hardcoding.

... or using the PATH, hence my renaming them to k*startupconfig4.
I don't care either way, but by using the PATH instead of hardcoding into startkde I'll
be able to use the same startkde with different .kde/env configs to start kde-4.0
and kde-4.1, just like it was possible with kde3, instead of having to "generate"
proper startkde scripts for every installation prefix. The kde3 solution (using PATH)
leads to a more reusable script.