kwin default window button order.

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Nov 22 16:47:53 GMT 2007

On Thursday 22 November 2007, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007, David Jarvie wrote:
> > In fact I'm using Windows just now, and it definitely has the menu button
> > at the far left.
>
> Correct-amundo.  They also overload it such that you can close the window
> by double-clicking it.

which, btw, is one of the worst ideas ever and was a workaround introduced for
a poor window manager in windows 3.1 and prior.

interestingly, some power users who found this feature decided they liked it,
even though it's slower and sucks for people who don't know that feature
exists and go around double clicking things randomly (another usability
truism: make things wierd enough and people start acting randomly; "double
click this, but single click that" leads to many people double clicking in
random situations as they can't figure out the scheme).

so when i disabled menu-double-click-closes in the default kde window decos
some time ago (kept it in the windows emulating ones, though) two things
happened:

a) complaints on the kde devel lists by developers saying we had to keep it
for compatibility, people were used to it, it was removing features for no
reason (which is untrue, see above), etc. sound familiar? ;)

b) people added configuration options to some decos to allow this back
conditionally to some decos (nothing like increasing the config load to
re-introduce a highly dubious feature)

today? few care, few notice, and those who really want it use a style that
supports it.

i've come to accept that friction against change will likely always be high in
this project. it does mean, however, that it takes a really strong-headed
person to get meaningful usability changes through. so if you wonder why
usability doesn't improve faster/better or why i'm so annoying in these
threads, accept that as the result of a project where resistance is high and
mostly a reflexive reaction rather than reasoned thought based on
understanding of the principle involved.

i don't think this is unique to kde, though. it's why gnome went all
dictatorial-from-the-top with its usability push, why Apple only really
innovates in usability when they have a dictator at the top, etc. i don't
want dictatorships in kde. however, i do wish these things took less energy.
=) i keep seeking a Third Way for this process. haven't found it yet.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se