KDatePicker improvements

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Thu Nov 22 14:05:33 GMT 2007

On Thursday, 22. November 2007, Hans Meine wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 22. November 2007 14:24:35 schrieb Torsten Rahn:
> > By far most people won't look for the "Week number" but just want to know
> >
> > Year, month, day.
> >
> > So "Week" shouldn't have the same Importance and prominence as other
> > items.
>
> Right.
>
> Also, it stands out quite much depending on the UI style - maybe it should
> be more like the month display, which is functionally a combobox, but only
> appears after clicking.  In contrast to that, the week is a regular
> combobox.

Good point... I'll think some more about that.
I believe this is because there are a lot more weeks in there, as opposed to
only twelve months which have no problem to fit on the screen.

Also, I'll ask the usability list about the "<- month -> <- year ->" approach
as it seems this is still better than the current one and doable with minimal
code changes. Let's consider the current patch stalled for now.

> (Maybe it should even be more like the year, where you would just
> enter a number?  Or even add spinbox controls to that lineedit, also for
> year then?)

That was actually my first attempt - I had a much easier patch working which
had the year widget as a spinbox, but the conclusion was that it's not ideal
because horizontal month navigation (left/right) doesn't make a good fit for
vertical year navigation (up/down).

The bugfixes have been applied - expect me to come back soon with the rest of
the pending items. For completeness, here's the updated patch that only
includes the functional changes and leaves out the fixes.

Wishes,
  Jakob