release critical upstream issues

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 21 21:16:39 GMT 2007

hey =)

i've started a hotlist on techbase[1] of release critical upstream issues.
i've started with a couple of the more important ones for Qt4 and the one for
Xine.

i'll be maintaining this list (hopefully with help, but even without) to keep
track of all release critical issues that deal with upstreams. if you know of
changes to those issues, please go ahead and add information

this is not for security issues, that happens elsewhere. this is not for small
annoyances or "regular" bugs, we have bug trackers for this. this is not to
replace a bug tracker, but is needed because most of these issues are tracked
outside of our own bug system while being critical issues for our release
management.

the goals are:

* to have a hotlist of _critical_ upstream issues so that we can keep track of
those during release cycles and so we can also point, for example, our two
Trolltech liaison people at it rather than bombard them on the mailing lists.

* to avoid our own developers hacking around serious upstream problems
unnecessarily simply due to lack of upstream communication

i was inspired to do this due to dealing with several patches that did exactly
the above for exactly the above reasons. something is wrong with our process
right now, and given my past experience with dealing with e.g. Trolltech it's
almost purely communication based.

if you think this is a bad idea, let's come up with alternatives but we need
to do something to address the situation imho.

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/Upstream_Issues

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se