kactioncollection and associated widget

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue Nov 20 11:57:07 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 12:21:15 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Please search the archive of this list, this change was done on purpose
> for a reason (which unfortuantely I don't recall right now).

I read the thread back then, I just didn't make the conclusion that this is
actually going to break most kde apps.  Like it does right now.

The whole point of the actionCollection behaving like a dump collection
still holds, what I and I'm sure others meant with that is the point that
adding the action should not alter the context automatically.
The adding of the action to the parent widget still makes a lot of sense to
me, especially since that doesn't change the action and thus doesn't break
the concept of "just a collection".

Bottom line; right now the action collection no longer is usable as a
collection of actions *for*a*widget* and that means a lot of the usecases
for the collection no longer automatically work.

Notice, btw, that if you do a associateWidget() and later add an action I
would expect that action to also be associated.  And I'm sure many others
would too. If this is not the intention, then the method is called
incorrectly.
--
Thomas Zander