[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 7 20:22:02 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 07 November 2007, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> Not really. But I hope this new fashion of using undecorated windows does
> not spread too much.

modal dialogs are also bad. but not always. sometimes they are what is needed
(though we could present those better, e.g. as in-window sheets; oh no! more
undecorated windows? ;). there are times when undecorated windows are
absolutely the perfect approach. it would probably help to define that in the
HIG.

the idea is something like: short lived transient interfaces that are not,
from the user's POV, directly associated with a given application which show
primarily interim information tangential to the actual task may opt for a
non-invasive top level window without decorations. transient notifications
are another example of when this is a desirable approach.

(note: i'm not using the x11 definition of "transient" in the above, but the
standard english language meaning of the word)

so something that reflects the volume change or a window that helps process a
command to be run or a notification popup all fit that concept.

the result is it keeps "windows" (or what users perceive as windows) within
the real of "actual" applications and not feedback or system helpers. this
has several nice effects:

- it makes these kinds of windows more identifiable to the user
- we can make these windows much more visually appropriate (and therefore
appealing)
- it limits on-screen clutter and noise where it isn't needed

> Actually, another simpler change to fix krunner would
> be to let it have its standard window borders.

i hope the above helps explain why this would be a step backwards. though i
suppose that's predicated on people actualy agreeing with the above ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se