[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Wed Nov 7 19:02:25 GMT 2007

On st 7. listopadu 2007, Stefan Monov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I saw Frederik's commit 731583:
> "Make it possible to move the krunner window by clicking on an empty part
> of it and dragging the mouse."
>
> I have always thought it would be great if all KDE windows behaved like
> that (btw Mac OS X does it), so I did some copy-paste-fu and here we have a
> patch -- attached.
>
> It makes all KMainWindows and KDialogs grabable. cool =)
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't work when you grab:
> - the space on the right of menubars
> - a groupbox
> - a widgetstack
> - the space on the right of breadcrumb bars
- something that is not a KMainWindow or KDialog
> - etc.
>
> Inherent disadvantages:
> - introduces inconsistency with non-kde apps
- introduces inconsistency with kde apps (see above), meaning that's probably
not the right place for it
- possibility to unintentionally move a window with a slightly sloppy click
(am I the only one who hates the "cool" feature of accidentally wheeling over
taskbar/pager)
- hmm, is it really that difficult to hold Alt which works everywhere?
> - anything else?

 How does Mac OS X handle it so that the user doesn't trigger it accidentally
or hunt for "random" parts of the window where it actually works?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http//www.suse.cz