[patch] Grab windows anywhere, not just titlebar

Stefan Monov logixoul at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:12:31 GMT 2007

Hi,

So I saw Frederik's commit 731583:
"Make it possible to move the krunner window by clicking on an empty part
of it and dragging the mouse."

I have always thought it would be great if all KDE windows behaved like that
(btw Mac OS X does it), so I did some copy-paste-fu and here we have a
patch -- attached.

It makes all KMainWindows and KDialogs grabable. cool =)

Unfortunately it doesn't work when you grab:
- the space on the right of menubars
- a groupbox
- a widgetstack
- the space on the right of breadcrumb bars
- etc.

Inherent disadvantages:
- introduces inconsistency with non-kde apps
- anything else?

Would be nice if the code was shared instead of copy-pasted.

It will also let us do away with the titlebar bevel in Oxygen, which we
introduced to make it clear where the grabable titlebar ends (though it
clashes badly with the artistic vision).

Comments? Improvements?
How to make it work on menubars?
Too late for such a big change in 4.0?
Compatibility with other WMs, OSes?

Cheers,
Stefan

ps: hmm, looks like a dot commenter had the same idea ;)