Upcoming KDE4 VM image - do you (not) want your app included?

Simon St James simon at etotheipiplusone.com
Mon Nov 5 17:25:44 GMT 2007

Hi all,

I'm hoping to release a Beta of "The KDE4Daily VM" reasonably soon, and I
wanted some opinions on what KDE software should be included.  Full details
are here:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-promo&m=119364751914026&w=2

Re-summarised here:

"In a nutshell - I thought it might be a good idea to provide a Qemu image
containing a Kubuntu 7.04 install together with a self-compiled KDE4
install (probably via bittorrent, as the compressed image is around
the 700MB mark; uncompressed, it is 1.6GB) and updater scripts to
update the KDE4 install.  Updates will be provided and rolled out by
myself every couple of days or so,  compiled from SVN.  The user will
then be able to update to the latest KDE4 just by running the updater
scripts from within the VM or perhaps, in later revisions, using a GUI
tool."

Now, the current image that I've prepared is very much "everything and the
kitchen sink", including most of the major modules from SVN, and I'm very
aware that some developers may not want their apps distributed in their
current states.  After talking with Aaron, he suggested that I post here and
see if any module/ app maintainers feel strongly about not having their
babies included in the image, either due to it being in a difficult stage of
development, or because they feel that the sluggish environment of a VM would
be a poor showcase for their project.  This "opt-out" approach is not ideal
from the point of view of fairness, but it is better than "opt-in" for
actually getting an image with a rich range of apps.  Or any apps at all, in
fact ;)

So if anyone doesn't want their app included, please let me know! Do note that
there will be a disclaimer prominently displayed on the desktop cautioning
against using the VM with any valuable data.

I am subscribed to the list but probably not white-listed, so there may be a
delay in replying to any queries.

Cheers,
Simon