libkdeprint

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Nov 4 13:28:12 GMT 2007

On 04.11.07 13:22:29, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> Alex Merry wrote:

> >> I don't understand that argument. If you had a "kdedoprint" utility,
> >> why would you have to include that in every app?
> >
> > Because we're not adding this support in kdelibs (because that would tie
> > us to binary compatibility, and there are issues with this not being
> > cross-platform).  So we have to add it in every application, which
> > means every application would have to provide its own version of
> > kdedoprint.
>
> No, I still don't get it.
>
> You also do not provide the "own version of lp/lpr". You expect the
> apps that need a fileprinter to find it installed. Same would apply
> for kdedoprint. (To the user it doesn't make a difference if that
> kdedoprint utility is part of kdelibs, kdebase, or kdesomething. He
> just needs to be told, somehow, "if you want to print from okular,
> akular and ekular, you need to install kdedoprint".)

That would mean creating a new project in kdesupport for just that one
utility and remove it again when kde4.1 or 4.2 ships with a proper
solution. IMHO thats just too much work when the solution of a copy is
just soo much simpler  and non-confusing.

Its not even needed that the utility be renamed in each and every app,
or be a real copy (we can use svn:externals to fetch it from one central
place). The installation can be done into something like
<prefix>/lib/<appname>/ and then there's no naming-clash.

Andreas

--
You are a fluke of the universe; you have no right to be here.