Why are methods like KIO::open_RenameDialog(), not called KIO::RenameDialog::open()?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu May 31 12:07:52 BST 2007

Richard Dale said:
> In the KIO:: namespace there are various methods that are named like the
> above
> one, and I'm not sure why they aren't defined as static methods in the
> class
> named after the underscore, like this:
[snip]
> I ask because in language like C# and Java methods always have to be in a
> class, even if they are static. So C++ methods in namespaces must be moved
> into some sort of class. In this case for C#, I will probably need to move
> the C++ open_RenameDialog() to a C# RenameDialog.Open() method to get it
> work, and it would be easier if I didn't have to.

Our current trend is to turn into namespaces all classes that have only
static methods.

That said, historically, KIO has had convenience methods in its namespace
and in KIO::NetAccess to avoid having to create the objects for simple
operations. Maybe they could still be gathered in a single place, to avoid
populating KIO:: too much.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358