What to do about KColor?

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon May 28 13:19:32 BST 2007

On Monday 28 May 2007 13:31:54 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > On Monday 28 May 2007 03:31:54 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> >

> > I, for one, think that its entirely natural that a color has an alpha
> > channel and thus that if you blend two colors that it would be odd
> > and unnatural to _also_ add an alpha to the argument list.
> >
> > For most KDE / Qt programmers an alpha channel is new in version 4,
> > but if you come from a toolkit like Java this has existed for many
> > years.  So, I can imagine that it takes a while to adjust to this
> > change in concept.
> >
> > Lets see if people find it a bit odd.
>
> I find it more than a bit odd. I imagine most of us do not come from
> Java.

My point was that Qt was late in entering the game with the addition of an
alpha channel to the color object.
We have an alpha there now, and its certainly not an exception to the
rule. So this is not a "if you come from [whatever].." this is more an
"embrace change and use the new concepts to the fullest".

I expect people to adjust to the new concepts over the duration of the
KDE4 lifetime and when they do, then it becomes weird when there are two
conflicting ways to set the blending amount.

Its all a matter of perspective and I doubt its wise to decide right now.
--
Thomas Zander