Forthcoming changes for libsolid

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat May 26 23:18:55 BST 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> 1) solid_isDeviceInterface.patch (monday 28th may)
> It simply renames Solid::Device::queryDeviceInterface to
> Solid::Device::isDeviceInterface. This method is not widely used outside of
> libsolid, the template convenience is more commonly used. This is a small
> cleanup, but necessary IMO to improve the discoverability of this API, this
> way the class fully follow the is/as metaphor.

a definite readability improvement =)

> 2) (kdelibs|kdebase)_no_Solid_DeviceList.path (monday 28th may)
> Get ride of the useless DeviceList typedef. It's really unnecessary IMO, I

this should probably be consistent throughout kde's libs... if this goes in,
i'll probably end up changing libplasma to do similarly.

the nice thing about having typedefs such as this is that if the collection
class type ever changes, which is pretty much a "can't happen" in a public
lib, it makes it so much easier to port code =)

> My current plan is to move the eject() method to the OpticalDrive
> interface, where it actually makes sense (for instance this interface

of course there are many devices which also do eject that aren't optical: tape
drives, some floppies (legacy hardware, admitedly) and other magnetic media
most of which is also legacy (jazz/zip for instance)

> 4) I'd need to rework a bit a few classes, mainly AudioHw, Camera and
> PortableMediaPlayer (monday 4th june). They need to be consistent in the

as an aside, there have been a few requests made at conferences i've spoken at
this year for both still and video camera detection. solid seems to have a
nice interface for the former (which often can also do video too, as you note
in the API docu) but i'm not sure how detection of webcams, DV sources, etc
are handled?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se