KColor is coming this Monday...

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sat May 26 18:53:38 BST 2007

On Saturday 26 May 2007 12:01:21 pm Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Ok, there is only so much FUD I can take without piping up, so...
>
> Zack Rusin wrote:
> > You want to be doing composition in other colorspaces than *RGB? There's
> > so many sarcastic jokes I could say about that =) It's a bad, bad idea.
>
> ...I'm sure the Krita (and Pigment, I suppose) developers will
> appreciate that you consider their software to be "a bad, bad idea".

Oh, that software is brilliant. But there's a reason why core classes of
Rosegarden, Krita or K3B are not in kdelibs, that reason is 99% of
applications wouldn't have use for them. Doing something because you can is a
horrible practice when it comes to library development. Implementing
composition modes in color-spaces other than *RGB for a general code is a
waste of resources and asking for bugs. Do it once, do it well over a
premultiplied colorspace so that the operators are closed and not suprisingly
we already have that. Duplicating that work, for general code and also in
other colorspaces with no benefits for all those non-super-special
applications is a bad, bad idea.

> If you're going to continue this tirade, at least a: do your homework and
> base your arguments in fact and not outright fabrication, and b: leave
> your condescension of /other developers/ at the door.

I'm not sure how this came out to be a personal attack on me, especially given
that I absolutely never did a or b, but I certainly don't have time for a
flamewar, so yeah, bye.