KDE Cryptography Module

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Thu May 24 21:39:57 BST 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007 12:49 pm, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Tom Albers wrote:
> >Mailody is not part of the main modules. I've used QCA for the KDE3
> > releases and implementing TLS/SSL with QCA correctly and for all
> > mailservers is a pain to be honest. I will not switch back to QCA.
> > Unless of course QCA is wrapped in functions identical to QSslSocket.
>
> That may not happen.

I should note that the reason QCA doesn't additionally come with a socket
class has a lot to do with this very discussion about policies.  I knew that
if KDE were to use QCA, it would probably want to wrap it at least to provide
the KSSL policies.  Plus, I wasn't sure if they also wanted to use KNetwork
as a substitute for the sockets.

Given that Psi/Kopete also have special needs when it comes to sockets, I
simply figured that a QCA socket class would be a waste of time.  There is
nothing stopping someone from writing a socket wrapper to QCA::TLS though.
We even have one started already in qca/examples/tlssocket.  But I have one
question: who would use it?

-Justin