Move x-fortran.desktop to kdelibs ?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu May 24 08:17:56 BST 2007

On Thursday 24 May 2007, Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
> 2007/5/24, David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> > On Thursday 24 May 2007, Nicolas Lécureuil wrote:
> > > Maybe we could move x-fortran.desktop to kdelibs ?
> >
> > Yes, all mimetypes should be defined in kdelibs.
> >
> > But 3.5.x development is mostly closed now, and this breaks translations
> > (well not in the .desktop file itself, but in the related .po files)
>
> we are missing numerous mimetypes. what about if we add new exactly ?
> it creates entried on the .po files ? evenif we copy a files with all
> those translations inside ?

You don't want to do that. It will define independent mimetypes, and the applications
will not be associated with the right ones (e.g. if *.xls is application/xls, then you won't
be able to open .xls files in koffice because it doesn't know that mimetype).

Also, you have given the same patterns (*.xls) to all mimetypes, so kde is going to be very
confused: how will it know which mimetype to give a foo.xls file? It has to randomly pick one out
of the 4 that you defined, so the behavior is going to be pretty random...

Instead, you should either:
1) define application/xls (and others) as *aliases* to application/vnd.ms-excel
(with a .desktop file that uses X-KDE-IsAlso, just like the application/msexcel.desktop provided by kde does)
or
2) remove application/xls from ooo-calc.desktop (this is where you got the idea of this mimetype name, right?)
or
3) ignore this warning since it simply means that ooo-calc is associated with application/xls for other environments
than kde, while in kde it will be launched for xls files because it's also associated with application/msexcel anyway.