KDE and smartcard support

Alon Bar-Lev alon.barlev at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:19:07 BST 2007

On 5/23/07, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > Wrong!
> > The gpgme->gpgsm->gpg-agent->scdaemon->pcsc-wrapper->pcscd
> > configuration is UNWORKABLE and NIGHTMARE to your users.
>
> so ... you have your own implementation of RSA that doesn't use gpg at all? if
> so, how does this work with gpg keyrings? that is pretty important since
> that's what everyone uses for things like key signing and web of trust.

QCA support S/MIME and I almost sure it also support gnupg via qca-gnupg.

But you have several issues to solve:
1. STARTTLS of SMTP and POP3, this will not be solved using QtSslSocket.
2. S/MIME, already supported by QCA via OpenSSL.
3. GPG, I guess this can continue to be performed by current
implementation, there is no advantage using other tools for this.

Alon.