KDE and smartcard support

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 23 17:19:09 BST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> > > I am looking at QCA as a candidate for this API.
> >
> > i understand that; i'm hoping you will similarly understand that this is
> > simply not on the table right now.
>
> Why not, please please explain.

i already have, as have others. if you are still mystified, just accept it as
an axiom for now because we, as the current maintainers of kdelibs, have come
to that conclusion at this time. move on.

> Any cryptographic framework, such as Microsoft CryptoAPI or QCA should
> provide the following:

i'm not discussing whether QCA is good or bad. this is not relevant to the
current discussion because right now we still don't even have an example bit
of API code to look at. come up with some example snippets, preferably with a
possible API draft, that incoporates hw based auth into kdelibs and then we
can move to the next step.

you're trying to eat the whole elephant at once and i'm trying to get you to
eat it one bite at a time.

> So I really don't understand what you asking me.

to start at the beginning and show me code, in particular how such hardware
based auth support might look in KDE's API. i'm not interested in crypto in
kmail at this point, for instance.

your next email needs to be about that API and include sample code, because
that is the only productive move at this point. thank you for cooperating and
making this a fruitful discussion.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se