KDE and smartcard support

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 23 16:23:28 BST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 5/23/07, Andreas Aardal Hanssen <ahanssen at trolltech.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 May 2007 13:18, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > > And yes, an SSL socket is orthogonal to the whole key handling stuff.
> > > Even QCA::TLS is pretty well independent from the rest of QCA.  I think
> > > it would be quite reasonable (from a technical perspective) to be able
> > > to use a completely different SSL/TLS API, such as QSslSocket, with a
> > > private key obtained through QCA.
> > > Let me know if you have any questions or alternate suggestions.
> >
> > Hm, if QCA can import and export DER or PEM ASN1 encoding, I actually
> > think _that_ glue is already in place...
> >
> > --
> > Andreas Aardal Hanssen / bibr - andreas . hanssen @ trolltech.com
>
> What?!?
> How?
> Do you remember that the subject is SMARTCARDS integration?!?!
> How are DER/PEM relate to this?
>
> Before you feel offended again, please review the whole thread, and
> realize that your current implementation cannot be used to support the
> requirements. After you do, we can start discussion of the real issues
> and the way to progress.
>
> Few technicals:

i'm going to try and save Andreas some typing here and repeat what he's
already said: QSslSocket and the SSL/TLS support in Qt4 is brand new and will
continue to be developed. as far as the issues you have outlined are real,
they will be addressed as application needs demand. so let's stop this line
of conversation and get back to the smartcard API, please.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se