KDE and smartcard support

Andreas Aardal Hanssen ahanssen at trolltech.com
Wed May 23 09:53:21 BST 2007

On Wednesday 23 May 2007 10:11, Justin Karneges wrote:
> Ultimately, the application ends up with a PrivateKey object, obtained by
> whatever means, and powered by some underlying provider implementation.
> Hardware or software, it is used the same way.
> (take deep breath)

Thanks, that was clarifying :-).

> Then, a user could obtain a QCA::PrivateKey object and convert it to a
> QSslKey object and pass it to QSslSocket.  When your OpenSSL tries to sign
> with the private key, it will ask the RSA*, which will ask QSslKey, which
> will ask QCA::PrivateKey, and whatever happens after that doesn't matter.
> :)

That sounds reasonable to me. Either we make converters, or plug them together
somehow. As long as we agree that this isn't about QCA vs. QSslSocket; having
two APIs that does the same sucks. The issue at hand is smart card support,
and in that sense providing an SSL socket is orthogonal, and quite solvable.

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen / bibr - andreas . hanssen @ trolltech.com