Fwd: Re: KDE and smartcard support

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Tue May 22 07:46:25 BST 2007

At Thiago's request, I'm moving this thread to kde-core-devel, where the
discussion shall continue.

open source software, has approached KDE to find out what must be done to
enable smart card usage throughout the KDE desktop.  Konqueror is the primary
target, but shared support for all KDE applications would be ideal (including
kdm, for logins).  I am behind him, as this is one of the areas I was
planning to solve with QCA.

Part of the issue in implementing smart cards in KDE (or just Konqueror) is
determining which of the layers should be responsible for this sort of thing.
There's KIO, KSSL, and QSslSocket.  There's also the issue of whether to use
QSslSocket or QCA::TLS.  George and Thiago insist on using QSslSocket in KDE,
although it is not clear if QSslSocket usage will replace KSSL usage yet (as
KSSL currently has more features).  They seem to be open to code
contribution, and so the latest message in the thread (mine, below) discusses
where the modifications would need to take place if smart card support were
contributed.  George states that it is really the KIO API that applications
will target.

I hope Thiago or George can give a real reply to the message below now. :)

-Justin