blend function urgently needed in kdelibs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon May 21 22:03:21 BST 2007

On Monday 21 May 2007, Alex Merry wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2007, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > I also think kdefx would be more apropriate than kdeui/colors, the
> > > latter one is mainly for color-related widgets, while the former
> > > has kstyle and co, and I guess KStyle would need such a thing (or
> > > am I wrong there?)
> >
> > No, kdeui/colors is definitely wrong, but kdefx seems a little heavy
> > for how basic I think of blend() being, which is why I'm eying
> > kdeui/kernel. What do others think?
>
> Note that kdeui links with kdefx, so, if anything, kdefx underpins
> kdeui.

unfortunately, kdefx is also past its prime. zack's kimagefx is a much more
interesting approach to most of what kdefx does.

> Although kdeui/kernel provides non-widget
> things, they're interaction-with-X11/OS/etc style classes, which KColor
> doesn't really fit into.

right. it has nothing to do with "widgetness". things in kdeui require a GUI
(e.g. QtGui). they are then further divided into topics, with widgets/ and
util/ being catch-alls for the things which don't have a larger group of
files to put into a single topic.

> If it were to go into kdeui, I'd say kdeui/util.

can someone explain to me why the "organized by topic" directory structure is
difficult to understand? because apparently it is and i'm not sure why. maybe
it just isn't explained well enough. hm.

let me try and explain it this way:

if you are going into kdeui for the first time and looking for a class called
KColor and it is in kdeui, would you look first in colors/, kernel/ or util/?

the directories are topical. it has nothing to do with widgets or not. look at
what is in colors/: it includes color related *data* even.

put another way:

if you were to working on KColor, what are the most likely other files you'd
want or need to be looking at?

> PS [and rather OT]: is it just me, or kdefx a bit random?  Is there a
> reason for it being a separate library, rather than a subdirectory in
> kdeui?

dlopen to avoid dep on kdeui.

> And KCPUInfo just doesn't seem to fit - although it's there purely for
> the benefit of KImageEffect, it's also an exported interface, and
> linking against libkdefx for KCPUInfo certainly isn't intuitive...

cpuinfo is indeed an artifact.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se