blend function urgently needed in kdelibs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon May 21 21:57:20 BST 2007

On 21.05.07 22:19:15, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Monday 21 May 2007 21:31:45 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> > kdelibs desperately needs a color blending function.
>
> It does?  Who uses it? :)

KDevelop3 already uses it (IIRC) and KDevelop4 will need it too.

> Normal GUis should use the default colors and not blended ones.

There are not enough color roles to choose from, even if the usability
suggestion with the additional colors gets done for KDE4. For example
that suggestion has an error-role, but KDevelop also needs a warning
color, which could be a blend of background and error.

> For most
> other things, QColor:lighter() and darker() seem to do the trick...

IIRC the blend() function from Matthew works better in terms of the
result, i.e. if you use QColor::lighter() the result is not always as
one would expect. I'm not sure why or in what way (and how much that
affects usability - i.e. how it fits with the selected style), Matthew
surely know that better.

Andreas

--
Look afar and see the end from the beginning.