RFC: escape strings in KConfigBase

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Sat May 19 15:47:08 BST 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 20:19:22 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >but note that some systems, such as ldap, are really picky about key
> > values.
>
> I'd say it's up to the config backend to properly escape the values so
> that the frontend doesn't have to worry about escaping in a way that all
> backends support.

To conclude this thread - Ossi, Thiago and me had a conversation on IRC
yesterday to sort everything out.
The plan is that I will implement the changes we discussed there and post the
patch with a summary on this list - probably next week.
You can review them and if it they look good, they should be committed after
some days. There will be no API change.

We also found out that values (as opposed to keys and group names) are
already "safe" at least in the INI backend. That also means that it's not
necessary [or even dangerous] to have configurable list separators for keys,
so IMHO it would make sense to remove this configurability. This is not 100%
sorted out yet and will be subject of another mail if and when research on
the issue is done and the result is "OK to change".
If you already have any comments on this now, I recommend to start a new
thread to keep thread sizes limited. It's kind of a related but separate
issue.