Changes into KConfigSkeleton between kde3.x and kde4.0

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Thu May 17 00:42:23 BST 2007

On Thursday 17 May 2007 01:09, Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> Well, Adam just forgot to add the porting notes - IMHO. And the
> requirement to call a base class impl. if you want the default behaviour
> is IMHO pretty normal in OO world.

That depends.

> In fact I find such things like
> writeConfig+usrWriteConfig much uglier and weird than just calling the
> base class impl. in a subclass' writeConfig (when this function is
> virtual).

The problem is that you create a dependency on the implementation of a certain
method in the API. As the use case in question demonstrates a change in the
implementation breaks the API. If you have a separate method for
customization like useWriteConfig you don't need to know about the
implementation of writeConfig.

> PS: Adam's commits where 560326 and 559982, which is quite some time
> ago, I really wonder why people start to notice just now. (yeah I know
> porting against moving kdelibs wasn't easy until now)

It shows that the bugs introduced by the change weren't obvious. They didn't
break compilation, but the behavior of applications in a somewhat subtle way.
Which definitely is a problem since people changing the libraries don't test
running applications.