Changes into KConfigSkeleton between kde3.x and kde4.0

Laurent Montel montel at kde.org
Wed May 16 22:35:58 BST 2007

On Wednesday 16 May 2007 23:03:45 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 16.05.07 23:00:07, Laurent Montel wrote:
> > Before it was:
> >
> > KConfigSingleton::writeConfig()
> > {
> >    save_data_from_kconfigSingleton ;
> >    and after call: usrWriteConfig();
> > }
> >
> > usrWriteConfig() is a virtual function.
> >

> > After into kde4.0 we have:
> > KConfigSingleton::writeConfig()
> > {
> >     call: usrWriteConfig();
> > }
> >
> > void KConfigSingleton::usrWriteConfig()
> > {
> >   save_data_from_kconfigSingleton();
> > }
> >
> > So now data was not stored when we call writeConfig and redefine virtual
> > function "usrWriteConfig()"
> >
> > For me it's a bug.
>
> For me its just a behavioural change. And its needed for some use-cases,
> for example in KDevelop where the KConfigSkeleton's "default" way of
> storing things into the kconfig object doesn't work.

What is the problem ?

> So this change
> allows users of KConfigSkeleton to do more customization.
>
> Instead you can just call the default implementation before or after you
> did your own stuff, so I don't see a problem.

I see a big problem, API was not changed (same function) but it doesn't work
as previously so it's not good for guy which port application => it will
create porting bug.

why not revert as previously and use directly usrWriteConfig() when a guy when
to customize it. (If guy want to customize it it will re-define this virtual
function no ? )