RFC: escape strings in KConfigBase

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue May 15 22:12:07 BST 2007

On Tuesday 15 May 2007 22:09, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 09:01:02PM +0200, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 May 2007 19:49:26 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > it might be not much effort to add,
> > >
> > > but interpreting any escapes could definitely change the
> > > semantics of some existing keys.
> >
> > Find me one. I didn' find any in my ~/.kde/share/config at least.
>
> lack of evidence is no evidence for a lack. wait, i read that just
> some hours ago ...

FWIW, for group identifiers escaping is already in place. The opening
and closing brackets [ resp. ] are escaped as %( and %), respectively.
Interestingly enough the escape character '%' is not escaped and
consequently the group ids test%)test and test]test are not
differentiated. Oops, a bug.

You can easily test all this by creating folders containing those
characters in KMail. (Yes, we are guilty of using user supplied strings
as group identifiers. Sue us.)

Regards,
Ingo