RFC: escape strings in KConfigBase

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue May 15 21:32:13 BST 2007

Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
>Backwards compatibility must be broken if you want to improve things,
> big deal. There is a system in place to deal with updating config
> files, and it is explicitly stated that an updated config file will not
> be readable by an older version of an application.
>So minor versions may break config files, and you are arguing that major
>versions may not. Compatibility just does not seem to be that big an
> issue. Backslash escaping is also very unobtrusive if you don't make
> use it.

That doesn't apply to kdeglobals backwards compatibility. You're not
allowed to downgrade an application or library, but since KDE 3 and 4
must coexist, we must allow for KDE 3 libraries to read KDE 4's
kdeglobals.

A couple of other files may be affected too, notably for everything that
you must have in both KDEs (kded, ioslaves, etc.).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358