viability of implementing global shortcuts via KDED and DBus

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri May 11 11:09:15 BST 2007

Lubos Lunak said:
>  Arguably. If I have both KSCD and Amarok and they both have 'Next track'
> global shortcut, should I really be prevented from using the same
> shortcut?
> Not that I really know the right answer.

>From the user's point of view, I think the global shortcut superposition
should be allowed and, not only that, it should work even if both
applications are running.

That is, if you press the "Next track" shortcut, the one application that
is actually playing any music.

It's no different than the proposed "media player manager" idea. If you
have an applet on your Plasma that skips forward or backward in the media
player, which media player should it access?

It's possible to use the D-Bus connection name structure for this task. If
there's interest, I can show some proof-of-concept code.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358