Fixing the Shortcut Mess

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed May 9 11:46:04 BST 2007

On Wednesday, 9. May 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 09.05.07 07:29:08, Anders Lund wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 May 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > > Having such a clear separation helps especially applications that need
> > > many shortcuts, for example Quanta or KDevelop. But of course all other
> > > apps benefit too.
> >
> > How? If we are not allowed to use some shortcuts in applications? We use
> > for example alt-<arrow>, why shouldn't that be allowed?
>
> Because its already assigned to internal window-management, I guess it
> could be set for the navigation along the tabs. So if Kate uses
> Alt-<arrow> for that Kate is fine already, else you'd have to change for
> example to Ctrl-<arrow>.

Well, Ctrl-<arrow> is a slightly bad example, because that one is widely used
for you-know-what. However, I think that Kate's next/previous actions should
take the same shortcuts as next/previous tab actions (for example, like in
Konqueror, Akregator and Konversation - which would be Ctrl-"." and
Ctrl-",").

Essentially, those are the same actions, even if implemented with different
widgets, and I still find it hard to switch my thinking between those.

Regards,
  Jakob