kprocess, kpty & kdesu

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed May 2 20:12:04 BST 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 08:40:35PM +0200, Simon Hausmann wrote:
> Providing a PTY implementation surely is useful for some unportable
> applications, but I'm not sure it is worth the prominent KProcess name.

this question was asked even before windows came into the game. :)
suppose another specialized kprocess derivative is introduced. and then
you suddenly realize you need features from both, simultaneously. whoops.

> Would KSequentialDevice solve a particular problem or is it just a
> because-we-can class? :)

i hoped my reasoning would be obvious. ;)
- an equivalent of this class is needed for adding ptys to kprocess in a
  qprocess-like way.
- making kpty a qiodevice would be nice anyway (the two direct users use
  it via posix functions now).
- it is pretty much conceivable that other sequential devices want to be
  wrapped, too (i'm pretty sure i'd find some examples if i scanned the
  kde codebase (*)). so why not go for a generic solution?

(*) i know from experience that this is a non-seller for the trolls. ;)
anyway, i'm right with my "predictions", yet another time: in fact, the
same function in kdm that uses the pty uses a char device as an
alternative. q.e.d. :=)