KToggleAction in menus

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue May 1 19:46:56 BST 2007

On Tuesday 01 May 2007 14:53:27 Thomas McGuire wrote:
> > Should the alternative ("Hide") text be discarded?
>
> IMHO no. KMail has the same bug (the mark as todo/important context
> menus). In KMail however, KToggleAction::setCheckedState is called for
> those actions, I assume KWrite does the same. Acording to the APIDOX at
> http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/apidocs/apidox-kde-4.0/kdelibs-a
>pidocs/kdeui/html/classKToggleAction.html#22ba13df6bebeacf041574639161aa
>af , the checkbox should not be shown when
> KToggleAction::setCheckedState was called (" This feature replaces the
> checkmark that usually appears in front of the text, in menus.").

That sounds odd; we pleaded with Qt to add the checkbox since its an awful
lot more intuitive then a changing text.  Most people don't know if the
text shows the current state or the state we get after clicking on it.
Anyway; I agree with Aaron and we should use the checkbox and thus not the
text.

> However the checkbox is still shown after the call, which indicates
> this is a bug in KToogleAction.

Hmm, I'm more inclined to say the method should be deprecated to make sure
all apps are consistent.

--
Thomas Zander