kprocess, kpty & kdesu

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Tue May 1 00:14:49 BST 2007

Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 11:27:33PM +0200, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> On 30.04.07 22:02:43, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>>> - kpty is unix-only. as it stands now,
>> Thats too bad, you know having konsole on windows with an embedded bash
>> would really rock ;) But I do understand that nobody has the time or
>> interest to find a way to make this possible..
>>
> i'm not sure it would be possible to convince the windows console layer
> to use konsole. and it would be really weird to have a terminal that is
> unable to run windows applications ...
> emulating ptys with some intercepted library calls on top of pipes (or
> whatever cygwin does) sure isn't rocket science, but its not even half
> the rent.

JFTR you *can* run Windows applications* from an rxvt (rxvt != CUI
subsystem!) session, so it is definitely *possible* to make this work by
cannibalizing Cygwin's pty code.

(* Tested with 'notepad'. There are probably exceptions, especially CUI
programs don't work right, but for people with Cygwin it's still /so/
much better than nothing.)

Alternatively there is http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/ which
uses a hidden CUI window (but isn't resizable, and the history is
broken... this is probably because it doesn't have "it's own" history
but uses what CUI provides, so hopefully Konsole wouldn't have this
problem).

--
Matthew
If you believe you received this e-mail in error, you are probably sadly