KDE4 default shortcut theme

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 15:47:13 BST 2007

Lubos Lunak wrote:
> This is exactly the same like another very similar feature, which has
> only a different key (Win) and a different menu (Windows Start
> menu/K-Menu).

I'm sorry, but there's one big difference between those two:

For the K Menu, we control the single action in the desktop that it
triggers.

For the menubar, we do not control whether applications act in response to
Alt or not. Qt-only applications, for instance (like Skype and Google
Earth), do act. Other applications in the desktop do too. By the same
token, other applications in the desktop do not and instead act on F10
(Gtk-based applications, including Mozilla). Some oddballs like Opera act
to neither.

My personal preference would be for Alt to stay and free up F10 for more
important tasks. But that's me. Considering I've just found out I have
used Gimp and Mozilla time and again and never noticed they did not react
to Alt, I believe I don't use that shortcut quite that often (only in
KMail, I think).

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358