KDE4 default shortcut theme

Olaf Schmidt ojschmidt at kde.org
Sat Mar 31 12:43:45 BST 2007

Hi Jakob!

I agree that we need to clearly define "safe" shortcut ranges for
applications.

Unfortunately it is impossible to do this in a radically new way if we want
our applications to work on other platforms.

If we invent our own, completely independent keyboard shortcut scheme, then we
are in effect telling users that we do not want them to use KDE applications
if they also use GNOME, and that we don't care about KDE applications on
Windows and MacOS.

The only way to make KDE application shortcuts work safely from within KDE,
GNOME, Windows and MacOS is to have a look which global shortcuts are in use
in the various desktops, and to declare all of those out of bounds for
applications to prevent clashes.

The best way to make the global application corridor as big as possble is to
share as many global shortcuts with GNOME and Windows as possible.

Yes, this leads to new short-time clashes with KDE applications (F6, F8, F10),
but it is the only viable long-term solution.

Olaf