Access keys

José Nuno Coelho Sanarra Pires jncp at rnl.ist.utl.pt
Thu Mar 29 17:15:41 BST 2007

Em Quinta, 29 de Março de 2007 16:37, o Oswald Buddenhagen escreveu:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 04:37:55PM +0200, Tobias G. Pfeiffer wrote:
> > On Thursday 29 March 2007, 11:09, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > > Initialisation: Alt-Shift-Space instead of Ctrl
> > > Direct call of a (known) access key: Alt-Shift-<key>
> >
> > Alt-Shift? Maybe this is only my problem, but when I press Alt with my
> > thumb and Shift with my ring finger, I have no finger left on the left
> > hand to press Space, which I think is very annoying. [...] I know
> > maybe my argumentation may seem ridiculous, [...]
>
> not ridiculous - just implausible, unless you're suffering some disease.
> in "typewriter mode" pressing space with the right thumb is definitely no
> problem (and certainly a lesser one than pressing shift and alt
> simultaneously - i think left-alt + right-shift + space is most
> comfortable, even if somewhat weird). and in "free flying mode", i don't
> mind turning my hand a bit, so i can reach space easily with my index
> finger.

It's just my 2 cents as an opinion, but something makes me confuse: are we
trying to make something which should be accessible, e.g. for disabled
people, harder even for people with no such type of disabilities?

I realize it's not an operation which is frequently enabled/disabled, but when
a person with motor inabilities gets into a KDE desktop, realizes the access
keys aren't enabled and tries to enable them, he/she has to press too many
keys in that case. I guess it's an accessibility stepdown, in that case, and
goes against the goal of access keys.

Best regards
--
José Nuno Coelho Pires