KDE4 default shortcut theme

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 17:07:53 BST 2007

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:22:46PM +0200, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> I think it's necessary to define a scheme that tells us which range of
> shortcuts is "reserved" for which specific purpose. Namespacing, if
> you will.

that's what i've been sporadically preaching for years. so-called
pragmatists consequently choose to ignore those suggestions.

> Something like:
>
> - Ctrl-Alt-* is for desktop management/switching & panel stuff
> - Alt-* is for internal window management (menu access, closing/minimizing,
> pane switching, prev/next tab for the main document in mdi/tabbed windows)
> - Alt-Shift-* for access(ibility) keys
> - Ctrl-*, Shift-*, and Ctrl-Shift-* only for application-internal stuff
> - Win-* is not pre-assigned, subject to the user's preferences
> - F1 is help, F2 is rename, F3 is search next, all other F-Keys (except when
> used with modifiers other than application-internal ones) are subject to the
> application itself

yup. two remarks:
- "reserving" alt-shift might be too much. dunno. otoh, on layouts where
  some alt-combinations need shift pressed, they are already reserved.
- win could/should have the same mappings as alt-ctrl by default - it's
  definitely friendlier to type when available.
- in a 3-modifier scheme, some exceptions must exist. it's sort of
  unconceivable not to have alt-tab for window switching. i'd
  also miss alt-space for the window menu (no idea, how "regular" kde
  users could live that long without it ;), ctrl-esc for the k-menu,
  etc., i.e., often-used system keys must be easier to reach than
  alt-ctrl (that's why win is such a win ;).

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 05:32:02PM +0200, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> On Thursday, 29. March 2007, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> > That's that. You're now free to disseminate my lack of anticipating
> > the bad bad consequences of being that strict :-}
>
> Er. I realize that disseminate means something else than I expected it to.
> Just imagine some painful verb instead of that one.

oh, i think disseminating is perfectly fine - just imagine what we'd
have to do first to actually be able to disseminate you. >8=)