Shorter build times

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 16:14:28 BST 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 15:28, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 March 2007, Peter Kümmel wrote:
> > The idea of attached patch is to manually exclude some files from the
> > generated all-in-one file.
>
> Good idea.
>
> But why are the touched files compiled together? IMHO this isn't a good
> idea, it will make developers forget some #include statements.
>
> I like the idea of a allinone_const.cpp, but the non-const files (i.e. the
> modified files) should just be compiled separately. Can that be done?

I don't really like the idea.
It creates another *very* special variant how to build things in KDE. The
dependencies for the moc files etc. have to be handled correctly. I don't
feel like maintaining three different ways how to build apps or libs.

A better idea would be if the enable_final option could be switched on/off per
directory. But this is currently not possible, it's one global option per
module. Another idea would be if ENABLE_FINAL is enabled, to also generate
the "normal" targets so that they can be called manually. Then the output for
these targets would have to be renamed...

Bye
Alex