KDE4 default shortcut theme

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Thu Mar 29 12:50:58 BST 2007

On 29.03.07 13:40:11, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> On Thursday 29 March 2007 13:16, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 29.03.07 11:07:13, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> > This one is used in KDevelop for de-indentation and I don't see the
> > use-case for jumping around in the app's mainwindow. Also this would
> > (AFAIK) need extra support from the application, it needs to keep a list
> > of "previous" widgets which to jump to. Or does KWin cover that?
>
> forget that one - it was an error (see correction mail i sent right after)

Yeah, I should start to first read a whole thread and then answer :)

> > > * Go to next main component (e.g. a pane, a docker or a toolbar): Alt-F6
> > > * Go to previous main component: Alt-Shift-F6
> >
> > Same thing as with Shift-Tab, there's no tab-order defined here and thus
> > we'd need to introduce a way of defining the "next" and "previous"
> > component.
>
> that's exactly what we ask for. for full keyboard access, there has to be a
> way to reach dockers and toolbars.

Hmm, you're right in that jumping between central widget and dockwidgets
needs to be available for full keyboard access (although some apps will
have extra keys to jump to specific docks). I'm not sure about the
toolbars, as IMHO every toolbar action should have a shortcut assigned
to it... I guess I revert my objection then :)

> > > * Resize split pane: F8 (currently only implemented in KWord)
> >
> > Is there special code that makes this possible in KWord or is it just
> > the lack of a proper QAction in other apps with split windows that those
> > don't have that shortcut? If the first is the case I don't think this
> > should be a global shortcut, its just one application that has this
> > feature.
>
> Gary Cramblitt, the accessibility dude, implemented it for KOffice. Olaf and
> me think it's not such an important shortcut, but other systems also support
> a way to resize split panes via keyboard.

Is that KOffice 1.x or 2.x? I'd certainly like to see the implementation
(to see wether KDevelop can use it too), maybe we can bring this into
kdelibs even (although that would mean introducing a KSplitter, I
guess).

> > > * Switch to next tab: Ctrl-, (all types of tabs)
> > > * Switch to previous tab: Ctrl-. (all types of tabs)
> >
> > There was a discussion about tabswitching shortcuts quite some time ago
> > and IIRC they should be unified. Although I find something with arrow
> > keys personally better than ./, .
>
> yes, but it's hard to find a free arrow key combination

Hehe, probably, yes, especially for Editors its hard, because
Shift+Arrow is used for selection and Ctrl+Arrow is used for jumping
between words. As I said I don't necessarily like it, but its better
than having different shortcut for tab-switching in each app.

> > > * Focus to next major panel (voluntary): F6
> >
> > I guess this is active only if the panel has focus? Else this doesn't
> > make too much sense, IMHO.
>
> hm, might also call it "focus to main panel" > when there are many dockers,
> e.g. in a graphics application, it's faster to get back to the main document
> by this shortcut. but app developers should decide themselves if it makes
> sense for them to add this.

Aaah, ok. Well, if the switching between widgets uses Alt-F6 and
Alt-Shift-F6 I guess its proper to have F6 to focus the central widget.
The only downside here is that F6 will not be available for Apps, but I
guess we can live with that...

Andreas

--
Try to value useful qualities in one who loves you.