Access keys

Luciano Montanaro mikelima at cirulla.net
Thu Mar 29 11:32:30 BST 2007

On giovedì 29 marzo 2007, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:
> On Thursday 29 March 2007 11:14, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> > Ellen Reitmayr napisał(a):
> > > Olaf and me also had a look at access keys and would love to see the
> > > following changes:
> > >
> > > Initialisation: Alt-Shift-Space instead of Ctrl
> > > Direct call of a (known) access key: Alt-Shift-<key>
> >
> > Please keep in mind that right Alt is used in Polish keyboard layout to
> > enter Polish letters (with Shift to make capital letters), so it should
> > be limited to left Alt only. I hope no keyboard layout uses left alt
> > with shift :)
>
> oh!
>
> but alt-space opens the window menu under Windows and Gnome. we can't use
> that one.
>
> other suggestions?

I don't see the problem... There is always the *left* Alt key to use for the
shortcut, since it has the usual (Meta) meaning.

The *right* alt key is labelled AltGr, at least on Italian keyboards, and is
used to access alternate characters like "@" and "{" (sadly).

It is possible to map it to "Compose" also, which allows the use of a wider
range of characters.

Luciano

--
                                                            \\ //