KDE4 default shortcut theme

Ellen Reitmayr ellen at kde.org
Thu Mar 29 10:07:13 BST 2007

Hi,

Olaf and me went through the KDE system shortcuts and suggest a few changes
for the KDE4 default shortcuts. For one, we would like to add some
alternative keyboard combination for a higher consistency with other systems,
for the other we'd like to introduce several new shortcuts which are required
for full keyboard access (accessibility). The latter requires changes in the
libs.

Suggested new keyboard shortcuts (for 3 modifier keys):

* Focus to previous widget, including widgets on toolbars and in dockers:
Shift-Tab
* Focus to menu: F10
* Show context menu of this pane (not focused widget): Ctrl-F10
* Go to next main component (e.g. a pane, a docker or a toolbar): Alt-F6
* Go to previous main component: Alt-Shift-F6
When focus is on a toolbar or docker, tab and shift-tab cycle through all
widgets located on it.
* Focus switch between panel and desktop: Ctrl-Alt-Tab (should show list of
components -> much like Alt-Tab to directly jump to a widget in the panel)
* Zoom level to 100%: Ctrl-0
* Resize split pane: F8 (currently only implemented in KWord)

Any volunteers to work on this?

As changes in the default keyboard shortcuts we suggest

* Switch to next desktop: Ctrl-Alt-Right (Ctrl-Tab is needed to get focus out
of text fields)
* Switch to previous desktop: Ctrl-Alt-Left
* Window menu: additional shortcut Alt-space
* Switch to next tab: Ctrl-, (all types of tabs)
* Switch to previous tab: Ctrl-. (all types of tabs)
* Undo: additionally Ctrl-Shift-Z
* Reload: additionally Ctrl-R
* Add Bookmark: additionally Ctrl-D
* Focus to next major panel (voluntary): F6

We also found shortcuts in the Windows and Mac scheme which differ from the
actual Win+Mac system shortcuts. We'd like to fix them once the new shortcuts
are implemented.

Greetings,
/el

--