[Fwd: Qt4.3 - important regression with QFile::handle() on win32]

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Mar 26 19:42:18 BST 2007

Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
>It's inside kconfigini.cpp / KConfigINIBackEnd::parseSingleConfigFile()
>- don't know if it makes sense to use mmap there at all. But I did not
>write the code / made tests if it's worth using mmap there.

I guess it's a performance boost to mmap(2) the file there.

But since mmap is really system-specific (not to mention unportable to
some platforms), this code can deal with file descriptors directly, using
open(2) and bypassing QFile.

The Windows equivalent code could, in theory, use whatever counts for
mapping files to memory fast. Alternatively, it can simply not attempt to
mmap(2) and just use QFile::readAll().

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358