Improved character selector

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Mon Mar 26 14:47:43 BST 2007

On Monday 26 March 2007 14:42, Daniel Laidig wrote:
> At the moment, this blows up the size of kdeui quite much. The first plan
> was to make just the data a plugin, loaded on access. When the mail server
> was down tronical suggested on IRC to move KCharSelect completely to
> kdeutils (as a plugin) and to just have the interface in kdelibs/interfaces
> (like kregexpeditor).
>
> I think that's a good idea and I will work on it the next few days. If I'm
> ready, I'll post the interface here.

Being able to select characters without installing kdeutils is pretty
important for KOffice. I'd like to see you a simple UI in kdelibs that uses a
plugin interface to find more advanced functionality, like the panel on the
right in your screenshot.

I have not tried the sources, but there is wishlist item for koffice in
bugzilla for quite some time now;
It would be really nice to have a simple way to select characters by function
instead of by the placing in the unicode tables. Which probably means having
a set of tables to state which characters perform which function.
Think along the lines of a 'currency' pane which shows all sorts of currency
symbols. There are probably a lot of other tables like that which can be
created.

Last point; why is there a spinbox there? It looks like its for size; but I'm
not sure how useful it is to let the user select size in this dialog.  Can
you try to use the kde-default settings for fontsizes?
--
Thomas Zander