qt-copy and Qt 4.3

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Mar 23 18:22:36 GMT 2007

Clarence Dang wrote:
>Because dynamically linking against a library results in a derived work,
> a condition of using that library might be that you license your code
> under a particular licence or else, don't use the library at all.

That's arguable, but we can assume it's correct for this discussion.

>I thought linking against a GPL-only library requires licensing anything
> you developed, while linked to the library, as GPL.  IANAL but I think
> this is 2.b) in GPLv2: "b) You must cause any work that you distribute
> or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the
> Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to
> all third parties under the terms of this License."

I read the same as you: it means you must license the whole under the
terms of the GPL. But licensing your own portion of the code in a less
restrictive license (so that the Union of your license and GPL is still
GPL) counts as that goal.

The only restriction upon linking to GPL libraries is that you mustn't
*add* restrictions.

> However, I'm reading that the free Windows version of Qt is GPL-only,
> with no QPL option (please correct me if I'm wrong).

That is also correct and so is the Qt/Mac version. But GPL is fine for our
purposes.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358