KDE switched to XDG shared-mime-info

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Mar 21 09:15:50 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 21 March 2007, Matt Rogers wrote:
> What do we do if we need to ship a new mimetype with our application
> because it doesn't exist in kdelibs yet and it's not in previous
> releases and it's not been put upstream into shared-mime-info? I'm
> thinking of mimetypes that might be added after 4.0.0 and before
> 4.0.1 as an example.

The solution is to do like we have done in koffice during the kde-3.x series:
1) add the mimetype to kdelibs immediately
2) also add it to a <mymodule>/mimetypes/kde4.0.0/ directory
3) check the version of kdelibs that we're building against, and if it is equal to [or less than, in general] 4.0.0,
then go into the mimetypes/kde4.0.0 directory.

That part is easy.

What's more complicated is translations. freedesktop.org has a mechanism for translating
the mimetype xml file, but we don't have one for kdelibs/mimetypes/kde.xml ...