KDE switched to XDG shared-mime-info

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 20 17:46:30 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 20 March 2007, Gary L. Greene, Jr. wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 March 2007 08:52, David Faure wrote:
> [snip]
> >  1) you should unset XDG_DATA_DIRS.
> > Earlier setup instructions suggested to set it in order to keep kde3
> > applications out of the way, but that hack breaks now, we need the xdg
> > mimetype files to be found, so we can't set XDG_DATA_DIRS away from /usr.
> > Let's make sure kde3 apps work in kde4 instead [e.g. I renamed kbuildsycoca
> > to kbuildsycoca4 yesterday].
>
> Is this the case even when a vendor installs KDE3 and KDE4 in their own roots
> in /opt?

Is what the case? kde3 and kde4 need to have different prefixes, but still you
have one of them first in your $PATH, so when you launch a kde3 application it has
to find the kde3 helpers and not the kde4 helpers (which is why I renamed kbuildsycoca,
and earlier on started to move some more internal helpers to lib/kde4/libexec).

Or did you mean about XDG_DATA_DIRS? It needs to be unset, if you set it to "/opt/kde4 only" before,
so that /usr/share/mime is found.