KDE4: modicum of success on OpenBSD

Marc Espie espie at nerim.net
Mon Mar 19 20:09:37 GMT 2007

I just wanted to report that I have the 3.80.3 snapshot up and running
on OpenBSD mostly. There are quite a few issues yet. No idea which ones
are OpenBSD specific, and which ones are kde in general.

So far, compiled libs, pimlibs, base. Going through games.
edu compilation borked on openbabel (which appears to be installed and
detected correctly ?)

So far, my largest problem isn't kde per se, but cmake. Cmake has no
code to handle OpenBSD shared libraries correctly, and it's obviously
going to be fun (we still have old style libname.so.MAJOR.MINOR names,
and we frown on libname.so). Just making the library name be
libname.so.MAJOR.MINOR does NOT fly, as that name is not readily accessible
from outside the build directory, so major issues for dependencies... I'll
probably end up `faking' the name, having some link to a libname.library
just used for dependencies, since -lname is going to find
libname.so.MAJOR.MINOR just fine then.

Oh well.

I have a few (very few) OpenBSD-specific patches so far... once they're
a bit cleaner, I'll merge what I can. (oh, and I needed to fix some blocking
io in qt4, patch sent to the trolls).

Is kcontrol supposed to work in the 3.80.3 snapshot ? and is the helpcenter
supposed to be functional ? kcontrol shows up as empty here (no modules)
and there is no real documentation in the khelpcenter.

What's the way to make it compile without debug messages ?
I found -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:String=Release, but things are still very verbose
(and hence a bit slow). I'd really like to be able to get a feeling of
KDE4 vs. KDE3...